CONAHEC Recognitions 2008
Call for Nominations
DEADLINE: Monday, September 1, 2008
The Consortium for North American Higher Education Collaboration
(CONAHEC) invites member institutions and the higher education community, to nominate individuals and/or institutions
- “CONAHEC Award of Distinction for Outstanding
Contributions to North American Higher Education Collaboration"
- "Manuel T. Pacheco Award"
To be considered, nominations must:
- Specify which award the nomination is for
- Include the name and full contact information of the NOMINEE
- Include the name and full contact information of the nominator
- Include a brief biographical description of the NOMINEE
- Specify reasons for which the nominee should be considered
- Be sent by email to Sean Manley-Casimir at firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than Monday, September 1, 2008.
Submissions will be reviewed by a trinational Awards Committee
designated by CONAHEC’s Board of Directors. The selection for each
award will be presented at CONAHEC’s 12th North American Higher
Education Conference, to be held October 8-10, 2008 in Monterrey, Nuevo León,
Mexico. For more information about the conference, visit:
About the CONAHEC AWARD OF DISTINCTION FOR OUTSTANDING
CONTRIBUTIONS TO NORTH AMERICAN HIGHER EDUCATION COLLABORATION
The CONAHEC Award of Distinction is designed to acknowledge
the achievements and contributions of persons or organizations involved
in international higher education in Canada, Mexico, or the United States,
and whose involvement has demonstrated substantial and effective contribution
to the goals of educational integration, collaboration, and leadership.
This award will be presented to individuals or organizations that have
made significant contribution at either institutional or national levels.
Eligibility: Nominees are not required
to be members of CONAHEC.
Selection Criteria for the Award of Distinction:
This award is presented to an **individual or organization** that meets
one or more of the following criteria:
- Outstanding contribution to the process of the integration of the
North American academic community and educational systems of the three
- Outstanding contribution to the development of education in his/her
- Outstanding contribution to the development of international education
and collaboration in North America.
Past CONAHEC Awards of Distinction have been awarded
- Sylvia Ortega, founding president of AMPEI (1997)
- David Strangway, former President of the University of British Columbia
- Victor Arredondo, former Mexican Director General of Higher Education
and current State Secretary of Education in Veracruz, Mexico (1999)
- Diana Natalicio, President of University of Texas, El Paso (2001)
- François Tavenas, Rector Emeritus, Université Laval
- Tom L. Wood, former President, Mount Royal College (2004)
- Augie P. Gallego, Chancellor Emeritus, San Diego Community College
- The government agencies sponsoring the Program for North American Mobility in Higher Education which has been offered since 1995 thanks to the cooperation of Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC), the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE) of the US Department of Education and the Mexican Secretaría de Educación Pública (SEP) (2007)
About the MANUEL T. PACHECO AWARD
Named on behalf of Manuel T. Pacheco, a distinguished international
educator, this award acknowledges his work and effort in promoting CONAHEC
and its trilateral educational focus. This award is given to an outstanding
individual from Mexico, Canada, or the United States who has demonstrated
exceptional achievement and contribution to the development and progress
of CONAHEC, its mission, and in meeting its program objectives. The award
recipient must be a member of a CONAHEC member institution.
Selection Criteria for the "MANUEL T. PACHECO"
The award will be presented to an **individual** either from Mexico, Canada,
or the United States who meets at least one or more of the following criteria:
- Has made outstanding contribution to the development and strengthening
of CONAHEC as an organization and has furthered the organization's mission
- Is or has been a member of a CONAHEC member institution.
- Has made an outstanding contribution to the development of higher
education opportunities in his/her country and, by doing so, strengthened
the country's integration to the North American academic community.
Past "MANUEL T. PACHECO" Awards have
been given to:
- Manuel T. Pacheco, former President of University of Arizona (1998)
- Norman Collins, former representative of The Ford Foundation in Mexico
and Central America (1999)
- Richard W. Jonsen, former Executive Director of WICHE (the Western
Interstate Commission for Higher Education (2001)
- Walter Uegama, former Vice President of Continuing Education, University
of British Columbia (2002)
- Juan Carlos Romero, former President of Universidad de Guanajuato
- Margo Schultz, Former Associate Director, CONAHEC (2005)
- Dewayne Matthews,
Senior Research Director, The Lumina Foundation for Education (2007)